You
must tell me something! Oh, my God! I am forty-seven years old. I may
live to sixty; I still have thirteen years before me; an eternity!
How shall I be able to endure life for thirteen years? What shall I
do? How can I fill them? Oh, don't you see? Don't
you see, if only I could live the rest of my life in some new way! If
I could only wake some still, bright morning and feel that life had
begun again; that the past was forgotten and had vanished like
smoke. Oh,
to begin life anew! Tell me, tell me how to begin.
And then, existence is tedious, anyway; it is a senseless, dirty business, this life, and goes heavily. Every one about here is silly, and after living with them for two or three years one grows silly oneself. It is inevitable. See what a long moustache I have grown. A foolish, long moustache. Yes, I am as silly as the rest, nurse, but not as stupid; no, I have not grown stupid. Thank God, my brain is not addled yet, though my feelings have grown numb.

No comments:
Post a Comment